4.27.2011

better in hawaii?


{photographs by Mark Holladay Lee, Hawaii}

On options...

Lately I haven’t been able to kick this Hawaii bug – I think about it at least once a day, and keep discovering more neat people via their blogs, beautiful art and other cool things that come from here.  Besides being heaven on earth, the slower lifestyle appeals to me more and more with each passing second.  I am so happy to feel the sun right now in New York, which I know we’ll have an abundance of in the summer…..so this feeling inside of me to make a move and to take a chance is about more than just weather.  It’s about wanting to be in an environment where people aren’t so tough on themselves and where life is simplier.  I love this big, scary, wonderful city of New York, but man, I’ll tell ya—it’s a tough place.   Unless you can afford to enjoy a lifestyle that makes the day-to-day easier, it’s a tough place to live, a tough place to breath, a tough place to work, and (I’m going to go out on a limb here), the TOUGHEST place to experience your morning commute.  I’m all for the lesser carbon impact of public transportation, but so over the frustrated mood I’m in before even entering my office.  The thing is, growing up, New York was the only city I ever wanted to live in.  It was kind of like a no-brainer to me—in so many ways I still find it so magical.  And I’m so glad I’ve done it, and also wouldn’t be surprised if I spent some more time here.  I’m writing about this because I want to acknowledge a notable change lately in what I thought I’ve always wanted.  Ya know that feeling?  It’s like your mind is suddenly in a place between the old and the new.  The “now” isn’t so sure – which is okay and I suppose even great, as it’s like I can feel my mind growing and my ideas shifting toward new horizons.  Horizons that are just as possible as my childhood dream of moving to New York was – I did it, I conquered.   It’s %50 awesome, %50 terrifying.  And believe you me, this change-resistant girl is moving like a snail, but I’m moving….

Some people say it’s not where you are but who you’re around that really matters (thanks dave mathews), while others would prefer to skip around the globe by themselves…..I’m not sure exactly where I fit in these two extremes, but I also don’t think I need to chose one.  All that I do know is “we are where we’re suppose to be right now” (I love when my mom tells me this) and that really, we can do whatever the hell we want to with our lives.  Live big, like small, move there, stay here, raise a family, settle for less, keep hoping for more.  THIS is the coolest gift of life, don’t you think?  New York doesn’t have to be the answer for me, but it is where I am suppose to be right now….you are where you’re suppose to be right now…..

…..and maybe Hawaii isn’t too far away…… I guess it’s nice to know we always have options.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...