4.19.2011

future secret garden

I have decided that my absolute favorite part of thinking about the future is thinking about the garden I will keep for my family and me.  I have yet to figure out where I’ll want to settle down, nor do I feel the urgency to do so at this time in my life, but besides the one constant factor about my future (this being always being near the people I love), the only other thing I know for sure is that I was to make my own secret garden…..secret garden slash patio/veranda/porch (a girls gotta be practical).  I think the years of anticipating my Mom’s floral scheme for the porch every year, and basking in her beautiful creations on summer afternoons initially planted the seed for me.  That, and taking the annual tour around my Grandmother’s garden with her, learning about bleeding hearts and petunias as a child.  And oh yes, how about all of the stellar wine (late)nights spent under the stars with some cool people….(insert dreamy smile).  I can’t wait to see my future kids playing in my future garden, and can’t wait for my future husband and I to listen to Van Morrison late into the night in the shadows of viney leaves and overgrown morning glories.  I can’t wait to drink coffee with my Mom in the early morning here, and to prepare lovely dinner parties on sticky, hot summer evenings for my friends.  I just think these kind of moments are the best thing ever, and the garden/patio is the best stage for them to unfold on. I know I sound like such a lofty, whimsical dreamer – but in a life in which there is so much we cannot control, I see no harm in fantasizing about and fulfilling the small and simple luxuries in life….and keeping your eyes on the sweet little dreams that make your heart go pitter patter.  OKAY, so a dreamer and extra sappy today....what can I say?                 


my grandmother diane + my cousin emily, 1995


via pinterest, here
"As long as you have a garden you have a future and as long as you have a future you are alive." 
- The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...