2.18.2011

memories of a small, small space

Happy long weekend friends!


Right before I got the delightful news that we could enjoy 2+ more hours of this glorious sun by leaving work at 3:30 (times a tickin'), I stumbled upon these lovely little stacks of books-- serving as end tables, decorative displays and even night stands (I LOVE this look).  And immediately I was thrown back 4 years (and 5 apartments earlier, wowza) to my first real live apartment in NYC. Ah, memories! Actually, the word “real” is not an accurate adjective for good ol’ East 60th Street, as I slept in what so many of us young 20-somethings settle for in NYC: the “loft bedroom.” Whomp whomp whomp whomp.  Not a loft apartment, which is a BIG difference as we all know, but a bed that was actually lofted, almost as a separate floor, but this “second” floor is actually not even a floor as it is 3.5 feet tall, with a matching 3'x3' door.  Yes, that’s right, I had to walk/crawl up a boat-like staircase and then shimmy into a small space in which one would only be comfortable in a horizontal position.  I laugh/cringe/smile when I think about my first adult bedroom—I’ll never forget telling myself, “well Kate, you can only go up from here.”  But in all seriousness, what my apartment lacked in authenticity was made up by my very "real" roommates with whom I shared a wonderful year.  And you'd better believe that the decorator in me made the most of this funny/probably illegal space (I even had a kitchen-sized tv).  Bringing it all together, the reason my first apartment popped into my mind when I saw these pics is because my first "real" nightstand was fashioned out of books.  Similar to these gems......minus 7 feet. 


Sadly, this party pad of ours has since been sold/closed down (again, probably illegal), so there are slim pickings for pictures online (I'd die for a floor plan of this place).  Therefore, I must leave my crawl space up to your imagination. In the meantime, check out these beautiful and innovative spaces (also about a million times bigger and chicer than my very humble abode).  B E A UTIFUL. And so begin my dreams of the perfect studio space where I create something magical like these apartment dwellers have.... 
via

via

via





via

via

via

















































































































































































Charming, right?


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...